Our Heritage

1st Kengray, an amulgimation of various troops from the Kensington area, can trace its roots back over 100 years. In 1908, less than a year after Scouting started worldwide, the 1st Belgravia Scout Troop opened it doors for the first time under Scoutmaster A F McGillivary, and the Scouting spirit has continued in an unbroken line ever since.

Over 300 million people world-wide have had the privilege of being Scouts but only a few have had the honour of being Kengray Scouts - adventure, brotherhood and life-long friendship.

Scouting since 1908

1st Kengray has kept the spirit of scouting alive in the Kensington area for over 100 years

  • 1908
  • 1912
  • 1917
  • 1922
  • 1923
  • 1934
  • 1969
  • 1994
  • 1995
  • 1998

1st Belgravia opens less than a year after Scouting starts worldwide.

Jeppe Troop merges with 1st Belgravia.

2nd Belgravia merges with 1st Belgravia.

1st Belgravia changes its name to 1st Belgravia Kensington.

2nd Kensington opens.

1st Kerk St. Catholic opens. This Group later becomes 1st St Francis.

4th Kensignton merges with 2nd Kensington.

1st Kengray is formed by the merging of 2nd Kensington & 1st St Francis. The troop meets in Rhodes Park.

1st Cleveland merges with 1st Belgravia Kensington.

1st Kengray merges with 1st Belgravia Kensington.